The second Mboka Festival of Arts, Culture and Sport has been extended from a 10 day to a 14 -day festival, and will take place from 6-20 January 2018 offering festival go-ers a 14-day festival of distinction and diversity that celebrates Gambian cultural heritage alongside African diasporic cultural heritage. We continue on the journey of a One World, Diaspora, Pan African experience!
Mboka will be equally exciting and stimulating in 2018 as the festival embraces the ‘new dawn’ of The Gambia that happened in January 2017 when a new President was inaugurated after 28 years. We intend to celebrate this historic time annually with the festival showcasing and exhibiting produce from The Gambia, contributing to its creative and cultural economy.
The festival is organised by Camp Africa, Global Hands and SABLE Publications with support from our partners and funders including, Gambia Tourism Board and National Council for Arts and Culture , ADEPT (UK), Arts Council England, Numbi Arts (UK), Harlem Book Fair, the Organisation of Women Writers in Africa (USA) and Yaram Arts.
Highlights in 2018 include:
- International writers and artists headlined by internationally renowned UK reggae performance artist Linton Kwesi Johnson
- Kankurang (Masquerade) Festival in Janjanburay
- Banjul2Dakar- A Presidential Fun Run4Peace in Africa
- Ninkinanka Gambia River Cruise
- Responsible Tourism Seminar on ‘Tourism and the UN Sustainable Development Goals’ 2030
- Conference on critiquing development from Southern Lenses
- A Run4Africa
The festival will again include local and international talent to produce:
- International Book Fair and Art Fair
- “Good Market” Food Fair
- Gambian Cultural Activities
- Oware Tournament
- Literary Festival
- Singing and music from local artists
- Wrestling Matches
- Yoga and Meditation
- Retreat with visual arts workshops @ Sandele, organised by Numbi Arts.
The Festival will be launched with a cultural extravaganza at Manduar
The programme for 2018 is now on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mbokafestival/
Twitter: @mbokafestival #mbokafest2018
What’s App: email your name and number to: email@example.com
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org